De$to, his birth name Modesto Reyes, was born and raised in Marrero, Louisiana. He was born on March 21st 1985. He has six brothers and sisters and is the son of Serella Rowland. De$to is also “the son of the earth, and the voice of the hood”. De$ started making music because of the effect it had on everyone around him and he perfected his craft in the late 90’s. He was 12 years old when he recorded his first song.
Reyes was influenced by the many extra curricular activities in his neighborhood in which ended up having De$to finding a home in the streets to maintain a particular lifestyle. Motivation from an older generation taught him to be different from his peers. Even though post Katrina brought a lot of troubles, which resulted into jail time, he still perfected his gift as an artist. These were his major life changing events between the years of 2006-2012. Upon his release he went full force into his music career. I represent music is now the platform that he builds his foundation on.
1. How would you describe HipHop in the state of Louisiana?
I think we are at a great place, we love more of a presence here but just think that it’s due from not having an independent label that’s popping such as the Cash Money’s & No Limit’s. I think “I Represent” Music can step in & provide that need but Kevin Gates, lil Boosie, Curren$y & Master P as of here lately continue to represent Louisiana well.
2. You have a strong energy to you. You bring a lot of life to your lyrics. When would you say you crafted your style and what inspires you to go hard each time?
I would say around late 90’s when I would listen to juvenile, lil Wayne, hot boys & Mystikal I constantly perfect my craft & I felt around that time I could compete if we were in same room.
3. Ok we heard your new single “5 Hunit and 4” and it’s a really dope record. The lyrics were on point, production, it’s the whole package. What can we expect from your upcoming “Before The Money”, EP this is off of?
I have a lot surprises 5 Hunit n 4 (504) was my most marketable song. The EP will touch everybody, I tried my best to make something for all.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/209958744″ params=”color=00cc11&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
4. Any features or Producers worth mentioning on this new EP?
It’s all me & two producers BlaqNmilD of the new no limit, he produced 5 Hunit n 4 (504), & Sam Freeze, me & him have great chemistry together. We build songs from ground up he’s definitely one of the best to do it.
5. How do you feel about the current state of Hip Hop?
I think we need to link up more artists that spit, we have to come together and unite to make more of a presence and have a strong movement to take over. Real hip-hop is alive, it’s just not been seen and heard. I don’t really care too much for us get in the publicity.
6. In “Cold Cash” you spit about “I’m a resident in a city where we murder over our presidents”. For starts do you think Louisiana has gotten worse since Katrina or better?
Honestly, I think it’s the same even tho many people have been displaced and a lot of people are areas they wouldn’t normally be, in which has been causing a few turf battles here and there but jealousy was here before Katrina and it still here.
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/209155917″ params=”color=00cc11&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
7. So whats the long term goal for De$to. Are you looking for a major deal, to be Indy, distribution??
At the moment I’m a part of “I represent” music label which is family if the option comes up that can make us better and stronger I’m sure “E” will hear it out and make the best decision. I trust him.
8. We know you spent some time in jail. Can you tell us what happened and what was about it being in there that fueled your fire to come out and be the emcee you are today?
As far as fueling the fire I don’t think it did. I was always rapping the same way before I went in and even when I got out but what he it did do was make me mature.
9. Back to your start. Who were your personal influences to get into emceeing?
Method man, 2 Pac, Lil Wayne and Juvenile, I stay being influenced by artists today, Young Dro & The Game… to name a few.
10. With 2015 here what is up next for you?
I’m working on putting the final touches on my EP Droppin August 25. I’m also finishing up my Mixtape “How I’m living”. I’m also getting started on my album which is going to take a little time because I want it to be perfect, make sure you go to Itunes and download the single 5 Hunit n 4 (504), produced by BlaqNmilD. Also go to iTunes and download the “All Red” single produced by Precise.
11. It was cool chopping it up with you bro, in closing let our readers know where to check you out and whatever else you want to let them know. Also thanks for keeping real hiphop alive with the lyrics!
Facebook- Desto Reyes
Sound cloud- I represent music